Here’s our latest weather outlook for India
5-Day Nationwide Forecast
The western end of the monsoon trough runs along the foothills of the Himalayas, while the eastern end runs through Jharkhand and West Bengal, and reaches a Cyclonic Circulation (CC) in the Northwest Bay of Bengal.
Meanwhile, moisture-laden southerly winds from the circulation contribute to rainfall in Northeastern India.
The aforementioned CC will proceed westward into the inland area for the next few days. Rainfall related to this system will start from Odisha and Chhattisgarh on Saturday, and move into Chhattisgarh, Telangana, and eastern Madhya Pradesh and eastern Maharashtra on Sunday. It could strengthen as it moves westward, and the core of the heavy fall may proceed into Maharashtra on Monday and Tuesday. Before the system exits out to the Arabian Sea, Gujarat may receive rainfall Tuesday and Wednesday.
Further, a trough lying off the Malabar coast is producing rainfall over Kerala and adjoining Karnataka and Tail Nadu. The rainfall will persist, with its peak on this weekend; heavy downpours are possible in places, with 200 mm or more total likely from Saturday to Monday.
As per the India Meteorological Department (IMD), fairly widespread to widespread rainfall activity with isolated heavy falls will continue over Uttarakhand, Bihar and East Uttar Pradesh till August 29. Moreover, between August 29-31, light/moderate isolated to scattered rainfall may prevail over the remaining parts of Northwest India.
As for the mercury levels, the maximum temperatures will be on the cooler side along the northern plains this weekend and into the next week, but on the hotter side across the southwestern Peninsula. On the other hand, overnight minimums will be above normal across the Himalayan region for the next 5 days.
2-Day Regional Forecast
- Widespread rain with isolated heavy falls and thunderstorms are likely over Arunachal Pradesh, Sub-Himalayan West Bengal, Uttarakhand, coastal Karnataka and Kerala.
- Widespread rains and thunderstorms are expected over Sikkim, Himachal Pradesh, and Lakshadweep. Snow may mix in Himachal Pradesh, Uttarakhand, Sikkim, and Arunachal Pradesh.
- Scattered rains and thunderstorms have been forecast over Jammu & Kashmir, Uttar Pradesh, Bihar, Jharkhand, Gangetic-West Bengal, Assam, Meghalaya, Nagaland, Manipur, Mizoram, Tripura, Madhya Pradesh, Maharashtra, Goa, Karnataka, Telangana, Chhattisgarh, Odisha, Andhra Pradesh, Tamil Nadu, and Andaman & Nicobar Islands. Snow may mix in Jammu & Kashmir.
- Isolated rains and thunderstorms are possible over Punjab, Haryana, Rajasthan, and Gujarat. Isolated snow/rain and thunderstorms may hit Ladakh.
- Widespread rains with isolated heavy falls and thunderstorms are likely over Arunachal Pradesh, Uttar Pradesh, Madhya Pradesh, Maharashtra, Telangana, coastal Karnataka, Kerala, and Lakshadweep.
- Widespread rains and thunderstorms are expected over Sub-Himalayan West Bengal, Uttarakhand, Chhattisgarh, Andaman & Nicobar Islands. Snow may mix in Uttarakhand and Arunachal Pradesh.
- Scattered rains and thunderstorms have been predicted over Jammu & Kashmir, Himachal Pradesh, Bihar, Jharkhand, Gangetic-West Bengal, Sikkim, Assam, Meghalaya, Nagaland, Manipur, Mizoram, Tripura, Goa, Karnataka, Telangana, Odisha, Andhra Pradesh, and Tamil Nadu. Snow may mix in Jammu & Kashmir, Himachal Pradesh, and Sikkim.
- Isolated rains and thunderstorms are possible over Punjab, Haryana, Rajasthan, and Gujarat. Isolated snow/rain and thunderstorms are in the forecast for Ladakh.
For weather, science, and COVID-19 updates on the go, download The Weather Channel App (on Android and iOS store). It’s free!