Apple has released macOS Monterey 12.4 to all Mac users running the Monterey operating system.
According to Apple, macOS 12.4 includes improvements to the Podcasts app, support for a firmware update for the Apple Studio Display camera, and security enhancements.
Separately, Apple has also released iOS 15.5 and iPadOS 15.5, along with updates to watchOS and tvOS.
How to Download MacOS Monterey 12.4 Update
Be sure to backup your Mac with Time Machine before installing any system software update on a Mac. Failure to backup could result in permanent data loss in the odd event something went terribly awry.
- Go to the Apple menu in the upper left corner, then select “System Preferences” from the drop down menu
- Choose the “Software Update” preference panel
- Select to “Update Now” when macOS Monterey 12.4 update shows as available to download
Depending on the Mac, the update is between 1.5GB and 2.3GB, and you must restart the Mac to finish installation.
Many users have to refresh the macOS Software Update preference panel two or three times to get the update to actually show up, so if you open Software Update and see nothing hit Command+R a few times. (For my own experience, nothing showed up initially, then a Safari update, then on the third refresh the macOS 12.4 update).
macOS Monterey 12.4 Direct Download Link
Users can also download a complete macOS 12.4 installer if they’d prefer to go that route, whether to create a Monterey USB installer drive or whatever other purpose.
macOS Monterey 12.4 Release Notes
Release notes included with macOS Monterey 12.4 are as follows:
macOS Monterey 12.4 — Restart Required
macOS Monterey 12.4 includes enhancements to Apple Podcasts and bug fixes:
• Apple Podcasts includes a new setting to limit episodes stored on your Mac and automatically delete older ones
• Support for Studio Display Firmware Update 15.5, available as a separate update, refines camera tuning, including improved noise reduction, contrast, and framing
Some features may not be available for all regions or on all Apple devices.
For information on the security content of Apple software updates, please visit this website: https://support.apple.com/kb/HT201222
Additionally, iOS 15.5 for iPhone, iPadOS 15.5 for iPad, watchOS 8.6 for Apple Watch, HomePod 15.5 for HomePods, and tvOS 15.5 for Apple TV are available as well.