Representational Image

(IANS)

Diwali, known as the festival of lights, turned tragic for Hothpet village in Shahapura taluk of Yadgir district in Karnataka as two persons died and more than 40 are being treated at a hospital after allegedly drinking contaminated water, officials said on Wednesday.

The incident came to light on Wednesday. According to the authorities, the deaths took place on Monday, and since then, the people of the village have been continuously falling sick. Fear has gripped the entire village, and most of the locals have developed symptoms of vomiting and diarrhoea. The health authorities have established a camp there to monitor the situation.

The locals fear an outbreak of cholera. The tragedy occurred after tap connections supplied water from the old well to the houses. It is suspected that the water in the well is contaminated. The deceased have been identified as Honnappa Gowda and Eramma.

The locals had submitted many complaints regarding the supply of drinking water from the old well, but the authorities had turned a blind eye. The locals have said that they had taken the water samples and got them tested in the laboratory. The reports said the water could not be used for drinking purposes. The authorities knew this but did nothing, said a resident, Basavaraj Patil.

Ramesha Guttedara Shahapura, the Taluk Health Officer, said that the samples of the well water and water overhead tank had been tested, and the results have established that they can be used for drinking purposes. The fault is with the pipeline, which the authorities are checking. Alternative arrangements have been made for the supply of drinking water, he added.

**

The above article has been published from a wire source with minimal modifications to the headline and text.

Source